LLP Logo

LLP Logo

Thursday 10 November 2011

Old customs - New customs - Halloween 2011

In Romania, especially in Transylvania, the traditions for the 1st of November - The Day of the Dead, are similar with those described by our Lithuanian and Polish friends. I will write about this in another article.
I want to tell you about an activity I organized with my students at school.
Halloween is a tradition observed by Americans, Canadians and other English-speaking countries, but not only them.
As I teach English, it is only normal that I teach my students about the British, American and Canadian cultures. So, as cultural activities, besides the carols we sing for Christmas and activities we organize before Easter, we also have fun activities for Halloween, too.
This year I challenged my students from grades 4A, 5B, 6A, 7B and 8A in making Halloween costumes from recyclable materials ( not only paper, glass or plastic, but also old clothes and accessories to which they gave a new life and use) and have them present their creations in English, in front of the class.
We had a lot of fun: they enjoyed creating their costumes and showing them off to their colleagues. They learnt to work in teams and they also recycled their English vocabulary in a funny way.
Here are the photos I took during the presentations:












I will post more photos soon, in a more detailed photo album. :)
Daniela Buda, Teacher of English

No comments:

Post a Comment